Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Elementary LAtes: 24 April 2019
Join the Science Museum’s celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Periodic Table—part of ChemFest 2019.
Find out what the sum of your parts is worth on our elemental scale, learn the half-life of your relationship in our carbon dating game and learn more about Henry Moseley, a scientist whose research recast the periodic table into its current form.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
The Cracking Chemistry Show
Discover the wonderful world of chemistry in this explosive show. With experiments involving everything from party balloons to cake, we promise you’ll have a blast!
You Make Me Slimy
Try your hand at chemistry by making your very own slimy goo à la Science Museum
The Chlorophyll Printing Process
Artist Almudena Romero will be explaining step by step how to print photographs directly onto leaves using a plant’s own chlorophyll pigment and the power of sunlight
A journey through time beginning with an old leather suitcase housing objects which– while being bound to a specific element –reveal exceptional tales of discovery, usage and mythology.
What's In The Box?
Discover the properties of the elements by looking, listening and interacting with this fun installation inspired by the periodic table
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Red Arrows and Fly 360°: Fly our simulators at discounted Lates rates.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Highlights Tour of the Museum: Follow one of our volunteer tour guides on a whistle-stop tour of some of our most beloved iconic objects and discover the untold stories they hold.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
- 29 May 2019: Measure of All Things
Partnering with the National Physical Laboratory we’ll be celebrating the redefinition of the Kilogram as well as the exciting world of measurement.
- 26 June 2019: Sexuality
Partnering with Pride in London we’ll be exploring sexuality with live music and performances.
- 31 July 2019: Space
As part of our Summer of space season, we’ll be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the moon landings and all thing space.
- 28 August 2019: Driverless!
Lates will be exploring the themes of our new exhibition Driverless: Who Is in Control?
- 25 September 2019: Top Secret
Lates will be exploring our new exhibition Top Secret looking at the world of codebreaking, ciphers and secret communications as well as quantum computing.
- 30 October 2019: Halloween
Lates will be celebrating Halloween with a spooky night of events as we look at the science behind Halloween.
- 27 November 2019: Art and Science
We’ll be exploring the worlds of science and art and the crossover between these two disciplines.
- 29 January 2020: Medicine
Lates celebrates all things medicine related as we launch our new Medicine Galleries which are based on the extraordinary collections of Henry Wellcome and the Science Museum.
These are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.