Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Blood and Revolution Lates: 27 February 2019
Inspired by our exhibition The Last Tsar: Blood and Revolution, join us for the Blood and Revolution Lates and learn more about the world of the last imperial monarchs of Russia.
Find out about the links between the Royal Family and Tsarina Alexandra Fyodorovna, hear some Russian folk music and have a go at crafting your very own Fabergé egg.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
Wonders Beyond Numbers
Writer Johnny Ball will be in the museum discussing his book 'Wonders Beyond Numbers', a culmination of his lifelong enthusiasm for maths. Following the lead of the Greeks and Galileo, Johnny will illustrate how mathematics underpins everything we do.
Songs of the Steppes
Steppe it up with an internationally renowned performer Polina Skovoroda-Shepherd (Kazan, Russia). Polina will take us on a journey through the steppes and the cities of Russia via an explosive mixture of powerful rhythms and profound melodies. Presented with the support of Pushkin House.
Fabergé Egg decorating
Feeling inspired by the fabulous Fabergé eggs in our exhibition The Last Tsar: Blood and Revolution? Then why not design your very own egg in this fun workshop.
The X-Ray Audio Project tell how Russian bootleggers during the Cold War defied Soviet censorship by making their own records of forbidden music using hand-made recording machines and x-ray film.
Music, Blood and Revolution
Join musicians from the Royal College of Music in an event curated by Dr Christina Guillaumier, combining Russian music and poetry. Text and sound combine to reflect the gritty chaos of revolution, social upheaval, bloodshed and war.
The Railways of the Last Tsar
A short documentary examining one of the most extraordinary engineering triumphs of the Nicholas II era. Join a Russian railway historian, Alexey Vulfov, for a fascinating tour of the preserved artefacts from this bygone time. Presented by Russian Railways.
FameLab Regional Final
Come and see the next generation of science communicators in the London final of FameLab UK.
Food and drink
Take a break between activities and dig into beef piroshki, chicken and cabbage piroshki, vegetable piroshki or chicken shawarma.
We have an array of traditional Russian food on offer: from beef stroganoff with roasted potatoes to Russian-style rye sandwiches, Olivier salad and smoked salmon bagels.
Love vodka? Then look no further! Chilled vodka shots are ready and waiting. Or get your hands on a St Petersburg ruby or a vodka snow globe cocktail.
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Red Arrows and Fly 360°: Fly our simulators at discounted Lates rates.
- The Last Tsar: Blood and Revolution: Explore the extraordinary lives and deaths of Tsar Nicholas II and his family in our brand new exhibition.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Highlights Tour of the Museum: Follow one of our volunteer tour guides on a whistle-stop tour of some of our most beloved iconic objects and discover the untold stories they hold.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
27 March 2019: UNESCO
24 April 2019: 150th Anniversary of the Periodic Table
29 May 2019: Measurement and Control
26 June 2019: Sexuality
These are subject to change—but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.