Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Driverless Lates: Wednesday 28 august 2019
Join our exploration of all things autonomous, as we celebrate our new exhibition Driverless: Who is in Control?
Find out how companies are attempting to keep humans in the loop in AI development, take part in the Race Against the Machine with Roborace and learn how humans will control driverless cars in the future.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
LOOK, NO HANDS!
How do you feel about AI? See the world through the eyes of a driverless car in our VR driverless experience, then join Samsung in the UK’s biggest ever AI conversation to have your say on how this tech is shaping your future.
CAN MACHINES LEARN?
Deep learning and reinforcement learning allow a machine to learn new skills, either by learning from many examples or by making and learning from mistakes. Come and see how it works and help the machines learn.
THE MORAL MACHINE?
Join the Royal Academy of Engineering to find out how VR technology will be used to support unmanned ships, hear from experts about some of the ethical questions facing the engineer and share your hopes and concerns for a self-driving future.
RACE AGAINST THE MACHINE
An interactive activity from Roborace, the pioneering company combining driverless technology with the adrenaline rush of Formula 1 in the world’s first racing series for humans and artificial intelligence.
SKIES WITHOUT LIMITS
According to PwC’s recent research, less than a third of the UK public trust drones—do you? Find out more about how drones are solving some of the world’s important problems and take part in an interactive survey.
Also this month:
What does race science look like in the 21st century?
A panel of authors and journalists will discuss the disturbing re-emergence of research into racial differences.
Find out more and book a ticket.
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Red Arrows and Fly 360°: Fly our simulators at discounted Lates rates.
- Hidden Gems: Peel away the layers of the Science Museum’s collection and you’ll find a weird and wonderful world of spectacular objects. Come and marvel at a selection of items not normally on public display, brought straight from our stores.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
- British Sign Language events at Lates: Join us for BSL-interpreted events and activities.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
- 25 September 2019: Top Secret
Lates will be exploring our new exhibition Top Secret, looking at the world of codebreaking, ciphers and secret communications as well as quantum computing.
- 30 October 2019: Halloween
Join us for a spooky night of events as we look at the science behind Halloween.
- 27 November 2019: Art and Science
We’ll be exploring the worlds of science and art and the crossover between these two disciplines.
- 29 January 2020: Medicine
Lates celebrates all things medicine as we launch our new Medicine Galleries, which are based on the extraordinary collections of Henry Wellcome and the Science Museum.
These themes are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.