Science Museum Lates are adults-only, after-hours theme nights that take place in the museum on the last Wednesday of every month.
Medicine lates: Wednesday 29 January 2020
Join us for Medicine, a Lates celebrating the opening of Medicine: The Wellcome Galleries.
Discover more about some of the curious and creepy cures used to keep us healthy in days gone by, discuss the history and horrors of the humble condom and listen to songs performed by the NHS choir who achieved Christmas No 1 in 2015 and performed on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury.
Plus, all the regular Lates highlights will be here for you to enjoy, including live music and the best silent disco in town.
A history of the condom
From sheep-gut sheaths to reusable linen, join us in our Hans Rausing Lecture Theatre to discuss the history of the condom.
The Organ on a Chip Shop
Stop by the Organ on a Chip shop to learn how researchers are making miniature cell culture devices to mimic human organs, improving the way drugs are tested. Feeling creative? Join us in the kitchen and make your own Organ on a Chip keyring!
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Choir
Listen to songs performed by the NHS choir who achieved Christmas No 1 in 2015 and performed on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. Members of the choir work in a range of departments and reflect the diversity of roles in the NHS today.
The ‘Elimination’ Game
Come and try your hand at physically ‘eliminating’ some of the world’s oldest neglected tropical diseases. And while you’re at it get a unique photo taken of your iris.
This talk will cover some of the cutting edge innovations in transplantation including the use of machines to pump human organs and manipulate them, 3D printing for surgical planning in complex transplants in children and the use of robotics in surgery.
- Space Descent VR with Tim Peake: 35% off the usual ticket price.
- Museum Wonders: Join our curators to uncover the mysteries of objects not usually on display—and tell us if they remind you of grandma's sofa, your favourite childhood holiday or that weird smell on your commute.
- Screen Grab: Print your own poster with our team of experts.
- Talkaoke: Chat, discuss, converse and pontificate on the current topics picked on the night.
- Silent Disco: Whether you’re practising your moves or just in the mood to slam dunk the funk, grab a headset, select your tunes and dance until you drop. £2 tickets available in the Exploring Space gallery on the night.
- British Sign Language events at Lates: Join us for BSL-interpreted events and activities.
Each entry in this hugely popular ongoing series of events centres on a different theme: from sex to climate change, from big data to childhood.
- 26 February 2019—Science City
Lates celebrates the opening of our new gallery Science City 1550–1800: The Linbury Gallery, uncovering how London grew from a lively capital city to a global hub for trade, commerce, and scientific enquiry between 1550 and 1800.
- 25th March 2019—Space
Join the Science Museum for a night that is sure to be out of this world, as we celebrate all things Space.
- 29th April 2019—Gaming
Lates celebrates the return of Power Up to the Science Museum, with a one-night gaming extravaganza.
These themes are subject to change but we can guarantee that each night will be fun and entertaining.